Sunday, January 25, 2009

We had a fun experience at church last week. As I was standing in the hall about to collect the boys from junior primary Brett's CTR 5 teacher came out into the hall. She told me that Brett had lice. Now that is what every mother wants to hear! He had fallen asleep during class and when I went in to examine his head sure enough the bugs were visible to the naked eye. I was so grossed out that I could not bear to pick him up but made him stand up on his sleepy, wobbly legs. Poor kid was about to fall over, having just been awakened from his nap, and I was not about to touch him. Had there been a lice colony at my disposal I probably would have committed him. Ewe! The sad thing is that over the past couple weeks I witnessed the child frantically complaining about and itching his scalp and truly thought it was just because it is so dry here. Then Scott tell me he noticed something in his hair and thought it was dirt. Talk about not making the c-o-n-n-e-c-t-i-o-n. I am sure our church congregation here in Frisco, TX is glad we joined the ranks.

On the way home from church we bought lice shampoo and threw him in tub immediately. After shampooing I used the accompanying gel and tiny comb to try and remove the bugs. We did not make much progress. A few minutes into this exercise in futility I reached for the hair clippers and did the unthinkable. Moments later I hardly recognized the child staring back at me in the mirror. Surrounded by his precious, golden locks I was the emotional one while he was completely blase, commenting, "I look like Chad now."

Brett - the AFTER picture

The other boys were not affected but in an act of brotherly solidarity offered to shave their heads as well. Really it was not too much of a sacrifice on their parts as they both needed a trim anyway . Regardless they are now all sporting matching hair cuts - we are calling them the buzz brothers. I suppose this is sort of a motherhood rite of pass age but definitely one I could have done without. A ll of a sudden I found myself nostalgic for puke.

The Buzz Brothers

After the lice outbreak we thankfully had an uneventful week following Grandma Sheryl's departure last Sunday. Scott took David into his office on Monday (Martin Luther King Day) which is something he tries to do when he sometimes has to catch up on the week-end or holidays. They love going to work with daddy (hello Office Supply Closet - no the apples do not fall far from this tree!!). We enjoyed all the inauguration excitement on Tuesday and on Saturday Chad got a bed! What a trooper - he's been sleeping on the floor for a month. But thanks to Craigslist his parents finally ponied up for something a bit more comfortable. We had not noticed so much time had passed until he actually started complaining that his back hurt. Nice parents that we are - one son has bugs in his hair and the other is sleeping on a hard surface for a month. Meanwhile we are nice and cozy in our super supreme cal king mattress downstairs!

Is this what daddy does at work all day??

7 comments:

Wells Family said...

What a bummer! Yuck! Brett does look adorable with his new hair cut though. We miss you guys, hope you are enjoying Texas.

Shea said...

Lice is a nightmare. Did it spread?

Becky Edgeworth said...

thankfully no. although every time i think of it my head mysteriously starts itching and i keep making scott check my head!!

Trish and Matt said...

I was just talking to a friend the other day about how this is one of the childhood rites of passage we dread most.

The new cuts are very cute on all three boys!

The six of us! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The six of us! said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! We had an outbreak of that here in the ward last month, I don't think it could be from here but one never knows how long those little bugs can last. Although I do think the boys all look so cute with the new do's!

Melvin and Carly said...

Hey Becky,

Sounds like you're having all kinds of fun in Texas already! I hadn't heard about the lice "outbreak" here until reading Marilyn's comment. Guess I'd better take a good look at my kiddos!

We sure miss your family. And, as always, your boys are cute - buzz cuts and all.