Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Zone

Friday found me in the zone.  And shockingly it was not the "zone" of nutrition and exercise.  Rather it was the Lego zone.  Chad brings home a color coded behavior chart each day.  A few weeks ago he excitedly brought home his first highly elusive purple which represents a GREAT day.  Knowing how much Chad is motivated by a reward system I challenged him to bring home 20 purples upon which he would earn something very special.  Friday was Day 20 so when Chad came home from school I was excited to show him the Lego Star Wars set he earned.  Turns out it was a bit too complicated for him to put together by himself and I, being quite the Lego fiend back in the day, immediately offered my assistance.  An hour later I was left wondering where the time had gone!  It was 6:15 pm and, while nary an item was on the table for dinner, our Naboo Starfighter looked awesome!  I really do find myself scoping out Lego sets at Target and Walmart.  So I wonder if I had girls would I scope out Barbie Dolls?

the finished product

On Monday I took cookies to school for David's birthday.  Thanks to Ah-nold in California kids are no longer allowed to bring yummy treats for their birthdays.  Instead you are left to choose other fun options such as a pencil or sugar free popsicles.  WooHoo!!  Clearly going overboard to compensate for prior treat deprivation I brought bags of homemade heart shaped sugar cookies sprinkled with red sugar crystals and large chocolate chip cookies made with Valentine's M'nMs.  Oh and little bags of mini M'nMs.   I am sure the parents were loving me that day!  Saturday afternoon we took a few of David's friends to Gatti Town - an overpriced Chuck E. Cheese-esque place - here in Frisco.  While Scott and I rolled our eyes quite a few times the boys seemed to enjoy themselves playing endless games of skee ball and it was fun getting to know a few of David's friends from school.  He also invited a friend from his church class.  Jackson has an absolutely delightful personality and I am sure we will be seeing a lot more of him.  So David's 2009 birthday is officially OVER.

The Birthday Boy eating his cake.

The gang at Gatti Town

In other news:  Evan was 5 months on Thursday but is really not doing anything new.  Except sleeping through the night which is probably of interest only to me!  But I did bust out the Jumperoo which he seems to LOVE already.  Except when the boys (i.e., Brett) try to bounce the heck out of him.     

4 comments:

The six of us! said...

Having a mostly male household, I too love to scope out the newest Lego sets out there. Emily actually prefers her brothers legos over her doll house any day.

Melvin and Carly said...

I'm looking forward to the day when our kids get excited about Legos. Looks like David had a great time.

Amy Snell said...

Your guys' family is so cute...love the legos!! I love that you can bring homemade treats to school...what a fun birthday!!

Lara said...

My house is so overrun by Barbies and 98% of them are hand-me-downs...I just can't get excited about them. Duty calls though and this week I spent more time than I want to admit on the internet trying to help Ellie figure out how to beat the highest level of the "Barbie horse rescue" game on the XBox(no luck). Painful.

However, a new generation is rising and boys are slowly taking over the house...lookout Barbie.